With 2015 coming to a close, we want to take a minute to toast to everything you helped us accomplish over the last 12 months. Thanks to your hard work and your generous contributions, 2015 has been a successful year for our efforts to protect and rebuild wild steelhead stocks.
YOU made possible huge progress for wild steelhead in 2015. THANK YOU! As you plan your year-end giving, pleasekeep the Wild Steelhead Coalition in mind as we seek to increase the return of these iconic fish to the waters of the West Coast.
What makes the Wild Steelhead Coalition special is that we’re not a traditional fish conservation group. We don’t have a big staff, an office, or a large endowment. Rather, we are you – a grassroots army of steelhead obsessed professionals donating our time, energy, and limited dollars to the monumental fight to restore struggling wild steelhead populations.
In 2015, we spent zero dollars on office space, staff, or fishing retreats. Instead, we used every dollar you graciously provided to fight for wild steelhead. And boy, did we get some great stuff done.
- Scored a huge victory for struggling steelhead stocks on the Olympic Peninsula by successfully championing a years-long effort to reform antiquated sportfishing regulations, including finally ending the sport fishing harvest of wild steelhead in Washington.
- Spearheaded a campaign for the creation of much-needed Wild Steelhead Gene Banks (also known as wild steelhead management zones) on the entire Skagit, Elwha, and Puyallup watersheds.
- Convinced the federal government to more extensively study the impact of hatchery steelhead on threatened Puget Sound wild steelhead.
- Served on numerous steelhead advisory groups sent countless letters to state and federal government entities, and hosted a handful of successful events.
- And that’s just the tip of the iceberg…
Together we’ve accomplished a lot in the last year, but their recovery is far from complete because the success of this effort will be decided over years, not months. We need your support to keep up our work.
So as we raise our glasses to celebrate the great successes of 2015, let us keep our eye on the future and commit to an even better 2016. To make that happen, we need you – your blood, your sweat, and your dollars – as many or as few as you are capable of donating.
WSC persists almost entirely on small donations from our members, supporters, and friends, so anything you can do to help – no matter how big or small – is greatly appreciated. You can rest assured knowing that every dollar you give will be put to good use because we are a lean, streamlined organization that accomplishes a tremendous amount with very little.
On behalf of the Wild Steelhead Coalition, we raise our glass to salute you for all of the great work you’ve done in the past and everything we will do together in 2016.
P.S. Please help us continue this vital work. Together we made big progress this year to reduce sport fishing impacts and slow the decline of wild steelhead on the West Coast. But much more is still needed to recover and conserve these iconic fish. Please make a year-end gift to the Wild Steelhead Coalition. Your support makes the work we do possible. Thank you.
P.P.S Every donation made over $50 between November 15 and December 31, 2015 will automatically enter you in our year-end raffle for an ECHO Glass 7129-4 spey rod, courtesy of ECHO.