Often times, this newsletter is filled with a litany of stories about threats to wild steelhead (see below for that). But this month is different as together we have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to bring about the biggest river restoration in history. We have the chance to Free the Snake. We have the opportunity to remove the four Lower Snake River dams and restore wild steelhead and salmon to the Columbia and Snake rivers, once the greatest salmon rivers in the world.
For nearly 20 years, in spite of multiple court rulings that have found their actions illegal, the federal agencies that own these dams have refused to fully evaluate removing them. That changed last May when a federal court judge directly ordered the agencies to develop a plan for dam operations that will restore our wild steelhead and salmon—and directed them to specifically consider dam removal.
Now the agencies are seeking the public’s input on what they should do. Starting in Wenatchee, Washington on the 24th of October and running through the 8th of December in Astoria, Oregon, the general public is invited to give their input in a series of public hearings. If you live in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, or Western Montana, please attend one of these meetings and make your voice heard.
- Monday, October 24, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Wenatchee Community Center, 504 S. Chelan Ave., Wenatchee, Washington
- Tuesday, October 25, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., The Town of Coulee Dam, City Hall, 3006 Lincoln Ave., Coulee Dam, Washington
- Wednesday, October 26, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Priest River Community Center, 5399 Highway 2, Priest River, Idaho
- Thursday, October 27, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Kootenai River Inn Casino & Spa, 7169 Plaza St., Bonners Ferry, Idaho
- Tuesday, November 1, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Red Lion Hotel Kalispell, 20 North Main St., Kalispell, Montana
- Wednesday, November 2, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., City of Libby City Hall, 952 E. Spruce St., Libby, Montana
- Thursday, November 3, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Hilton Garden Inn Missoula, 3720 N. Reserve St. Missoula, Montana
- Monday, November 14, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The Historic Davenport Hotel, 10 South Post Street, Spokane, Washington
- Wednesday, November 16, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Red Lion Hotel Lewiston, Seaport Room, 621 21st St. Lewiston, Idaho
- Thursday, November 17, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Courtyard Walla Walla, The Blues Room, 550 West Rose St. Walla Walla, Washington
- Tuesday, November 29, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., The Grove Hotel, 245 S. Capitol Blvd. Boise, Idaho
- Thursday, December 1, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Town Hall, Great Room, 1119 8th Ave., Seattle, Washington
- Tuesday, December 6, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., The Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, River Gallery Room, 5000 Discovery Drive, The Dalles, Oregon
- Wednesday, December 7, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland, Oregon
- Thursday, December 8, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., The Loft at the Red Building, 20 Basin St., Astoria, Oregon