Time flies when you’re saving fish! We can’t believe it’s been 15 years, but 2016 marks the 15-year anniversary of the Wild Steelhead Coalition. We’ve come a long way since a diverse group of conservation-minded anglers decided to join forces in 2001 following the closure of North Puget Sound steelhead rivers. Now, led by a dedicated board and backed by thousands of passionate members, we are a formidable force for the protection of wild steelhead throughout the waters of the West Coast.
Together we’ve accomplished an astounding amount over the last 15 years, especially when you consider that we’re an all-volunteer organization. Together, we’ve:
- Ended the harvest of wild steelhead in Washington. When the WSC was formed, anglers were allowed to kill 30 wild steelhead a year! Now, after years of hard work and championing a policy of no kill, wild steelhead are protected from recreational harvest throughout Washington to protect struggling runs and preserve future angling opportunity.
- Played an instrumental role in the development of Washington’s Statewide Steelhead Management Plan and funded an independent, scientific peer review of the plan to ensure it sufficiently supported the long-term recovery of iconic wild steelhead.
- Championed the establishment of Wild Steelhead Gene Banks (WSGB) on the Sol Duc, Elwha, Wind, East Fork Lewis, North Fork Toutle/Green, and Grays, transforming these rivers into wild steelhead sanctuaries.
- And so much more…
Despite everything we have accomplished over the last 15 years, our work is far from over. In the coming months alone, wild steelhead face a number of critical management decisions that will have a monumental impact – most notable is the decision on whether the Skagit Watershed will become a Wild Steelhead Gene bank. Please help us continue our fight to protect wild steelhead and ensure the Skagit becomes a WSGB by donating 15 dollars today. As a bonus, when you donate you will be entered to win a number of killer prizes such as…
- Echo Classic 11ft 8 weight switch rod
- Korkers Devil’s Canyon Boots
- Fisherman’s Priest by The Confluence Rod Company
- Echo fishing hats
On behalf of the Wild Steelhead Coalition, thank you for all of the great work you’ve done over the last 15 years and for everything we will accomplish together over the next 15 years.
The Wild Steelhead Coalition Board of Directors